« Home | JULY 30Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We... » | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... » | JULY 28By this time I should be some judge of man;... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 26The Great Salvation is at hand, if you will... » | JULY 25I went to a gentleman who is much troubled ... » | JULY 24A loving word, spoken in faith, shall not f... » | JULY 23I am now, and have been from my youth, a me... » | JULY 22In like manner, if I could not continue uni... »


JULY 31

We grant confession to men to be, in many cases, of use, public in case of public scandal; private to a spiritual guide for disburdening of the conscience, and as a help to repentance. But to make auricular confession or particular confession to a priest necessary to forgiveness and salvation, when God has not so made it, is apparently to teach for doctrine the commandment of men; and to make it necessary in all cases is to make of what may be a useful means, a dangerous snare, both to the confessor and those that confess.

. . . . . . . . . .

To pardon sin, and absolve the sinner judicially, so as the conscience may rest firmly upon it, is a power reserved by God to Himself.
Reply to the Roman Catechism


And invite all to this: one love, one present and eternal heaven.
Letter, 16th September, 1774