« Home | MAY 25The moment I awakened, “Jesus, Master,” was ... » | MAY 24In the evening I went very unwillingly to a ... » | MAY 23In this refined way of trusting to my own wo... » | MAY 22Look up, and wait for happy days!Letter, 26t... » | MAY 21Whenever the Holy Ghost teaches, there is no... » | MAY 20I received the surprising news that my broth... » | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... » | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... »


MAY 26

Yet the enemy injected a fear: “If thou dost believe, why is there not a more sensible change?” I answered (yet not I): “That I know not. But this I know: I now have peace with God. And I sin not to-day, and Jesus has forbid me to take thought for the morrow.”

“But is not any sort of fear,” continued the tempter, “a proof that thou dost not believe?” I desired my Master to answer for me, and opened His Book upon those words of St. Paul: “Without were fightings, within were fears.” Then, inferred I, well may fears be within me; but I must go on and tread them under my feet.
Journal, 25th May, 1738


Beware of lukewarmness. Beware of cleaving to the present world. Let your treasure and your heart be above.
Letter, 27th November, 1783