« Home | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... » | JUNE 22I must declare what I find in the Book. Jou... » | JUNE 21I have sometimes thought you are a little l... » | JUNE 20It is a stated rule in interpreting Scriptu... » | JUNE 19This is my answer to them that trouble me, ... » | JUNE 18I advise you: (1) be electrified (if need b... » | JUNE 17I am glad you come a little nearer the good... » | JUNE 16I impose my opinions on none. … I make no o... » | JUNE 15In the evening I went to a Society in Wappi... » | JUNE 14A true Protestant believes in God, has a fu... »


JUNE 24

I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men the power to place or displace the preachers in their congregations. How would he then dare to speak an unpleasing truth? And if he did, what would become of him? This must never be the case, while I live, among the Methodists. … The point must be carried for the Methodist preachers now or never; and I alone can carry it; which I will, God being my helper.
to Samuel Bradburn, 1782


Many years ago, one informed me at London: “The stewards have discovered they are not your stewards, but the people’s, and are to direct, not be directed by you.” The next Sunday I let them drop, and named seven other stewards.

No contentious person shall for the future meet in any Conference. They may dispute elsewhere if they please.
to Thomas Wride, 1785


Still be ready to do and to suffer the whole will of God.
Letter, 21st January, 1777