« Home | AUGUST 13At all times it is of use to have a Frien... » | AUGUST 12This doctrine* is the grand depositum whi... » | AUGUST 11Why are we more nervous than our forefath... » | AUGUST 101. Our design is, with God’s assistance,... » | AUGUST 9Here was my first irregularity, and it was... » | AUGUST 8From a child I was taught to love and reve... » | AUGUST 7When I have an opportunity of doing good, ... » | AUGUST 6As to my own judgment, I still believe the... » | AUGUST 5We honour the blessed Virgin as the Mother... » | AUGUST 4It is a known principle of the Church of E... »


AUGUST 14

Surely the people of this place* were highly favored. Mercy embraced them on every side.
Journal, 28th March, 1790
* -- Burslem


There is, indeed, a wide difference between the relation wherein you stand to the Americans and the relation wherein I stand to all the Methodists. … I am under God the father of the whole family. Therefore I naturally care for you all in a manner no other persons can do. Therefore I in a measure for you all …

But in one point, my dear brother, I am a little afraid both the Doctor* and you differ from me. I study to be little: you study to be great. I creep: you strut along. I found a school: you a college! Nay, and call it after your own names! …

One instance of this has given me great concern. How can you, how dare you suffer yourself to be called Bishop? I shudder, I start at the very thought! Men may call me a knave or a fool, a rascal, a scoundrel, and I am content; but they shall never by my consent call me Bishop!
to Francis Asbury, 1788
* -- Thomas Coke