« Home | AUGUST 5We honour the blessed Virgin as the Mother... » | AUGUST 4It is a known principle of the Church of E... » | AUGUST 3My dear Friend, Consider, I am not persuad... » | AUGUST 2An evil practice is the depriving the lait... » | AUGUST 1The greatest abuse of all in the Lord’s Su... » | JULY 31We grant confession to men to be, in many c... » | JULY 30Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We... » | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... » | JULY 28By this time I should be some judge of man;... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... »


AUGUST 6

As to my own judgment, I still believe the episcopal form of Church government to be both scriptural and apostolical [sic], I mean, well agreeing with the practice and writings of the Apostles. But that it is prescribed in Scripture, I do not believe. This opinion, which I once zealously espoused, I have been heartily ashamed of, ever since I read Bishop Stillingfleet’s Irenicon. I think he has unanswerably proved that neither Christ nor His Apostles prescribe any particular form of Church government, and that the plea of divine right for diocesan episcopacy was never heard of in the Primitive Church.
to the Reverend James Clarke, 1756


If those who “gain all they can,” and “save all they can,” will likewise “give all they can”; then, the more they gain, the more they will grow in grace, and the more treasure they will lay up in heaven.
Works, xiii. 261