« Home | AUGUST 2An evil practice is the depriving the lait... » | AUGUST 1The greatest abuse of all in the Lord’s Su... » | JULY 31We grant confession to men to be, in many c... » | JULY 30Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We... » | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... » | JULY 28By this time I should be some judge of man;... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 26The Great Salvation is at hand, if you will... » | JULY 25I went to a gentleman who is much troubled ... »


AUGUST 3

My dear Friend, Consider, I am not persuading you to leave or change your religion, but to follow after that fear and love of God without which all religion is vain. I say not a word to you about your opinions or outward manner of worship; but I say all worship is an abomination to the Lord unless you worship Him in spirit and in truth, with your heart as well as your lips, with your spirit and your understanding also. …

We ought, without this endless jangling about opinions, to provoke one an other to love and to good works. Let the points wherein we differ stand aside; here are enough wherein we agree, enough to be the ground of every Christian temper and of every Christian action.
To a Roman Catholic


I am now nearly as I was before my illness; but, I hope, more determined to sell all for the pearl.
Letter, 31st July, 1775