« Home | AUGUST 7When I have an opportunity of doing good, ... » | AUGUST 6As to my own judgment, I still believe the... » | AUGUST 5We honour the blessed Virgin as the Mother... » | AUGUST 4It is a known principle of the Church of E... » | AUGUST 3My dear Friend, Consider, I am not persuad... » | AUGUST 2An evil practice is the depriving the lait... » | AUGUST 1The greatest abuse of all in the Lord’s Su... » | JULY 31We grant confession to men to be, in many c... » | JULY 30Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We... » | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... »


AUGUST 8

From a child I was taught to love and reverence the Scriptures, the Oracles of God; and next to these, to esteem the Primitive Fathers, the Writers of the first three centuries. Next after the Primitive Church, I esteemed our own, the Church of England, as the most scriptural national Church in the world. I therefore, not only assented to all the doctrines , but observed all the rubric in the Liturgy; and that with all possible exactness.

In this judgment, and with this spirit, I went to America, strongly attached to the Bible, the Primitive Church, and the Church of England, from which I would not vary in one jot or tittle on any account whatever. In this spirit I returned as regular a clergyman as any in the three kingdoms; till after not being permitted to preach in the Churches, I was constrained to preach in the open air.
Separation from the Church


I can see nothing that I have done or suffered that will bear looking at. I have no other plea than this: I the chief of sinners am, but Jesus died for me.
Moore’s Life, II. 389