« Home | AUGUST 6As to my own judgment, I still believe the... » | AUGUST 5We honour the blessed Virgin as the Mother... » | AUGUST 4It is a known principle of the Church of E... » | AUGUST 3My dear Friend, Consider, I am not persuad... » | AUGUST 2An evil practice is the depriving the lait... » | AUGUST 1The greatest abuse of all in the Lord’s Su... » | JULY 31We grant confession to men to be, in many c... » | JULY 30Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We... » | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... » | JULY 28By this time I should be some judge of man;... »


AUGUST 7

When I have an opportunity of doing good, I will permit no man to tie my hands.
Reynolds’ Anecdotes of Wesley, p.25


I firmly believe I am a scriptural episcopos as much as any man in England or in Europe. For the Uninterrupted Succession I know to be a fable which no man ever did or can prove. ...

I submit still (though sometimes with a doubting conscience) to Mitred Infidels. I do indeed vary from them in some points of doctrine and in some points of discipline: (by preaching abroad, for instance, by praying extempore, and by forming Societies.) but not a hair’s breadth further than I believe to be meet, right and my bounden duty. I walk still by the same rule I have done for between forty and fifty years. I do nothing rashly. It is not likely I should. The high day of my blood is over.
Separation from the Church