« Home | JUNE 24I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men... » | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... » | JUNE 22I must declare what I find in the Book. Jou... » | JUNE 21I have sometimes thought you are a little l... » | JUNE 20It is a stated rule in interpreting Scriptu... » | JUNE 19This is my answer to them that trouble me, ... » | JUNE 18I advise you: (1) be electrified (if need b... » | JUNE 17I am glad you come a little nearer the good... » | JUNE 16I impose my opinions on none. … I make no o... » | JUNE 15In the evening I went to a Society in Wappi... »


JUNE 25

Beware of indulging gloomy thoughts: they are the bane of thoughtfulness.
Letter, 26th April, 1777


I know not that you have anything to do with fear. Your continual prayer should be for faith and love. I admire a holy man in France who, considering the state of one who was full of doubts and fears, forbade him to think of his sins at all, and ordered him to think only of the love of God in Christ. The fruit was, all his fears vanished away, and he lived and died in the triumph of his faith.
to Mary Bishop, 1770


You fear when no fear is.
to Zachariah Yewdall, 1782


Do right and fear nothing.
to William Holmes, 1788