« Home | JUNE 25Beware of indulging gloomy thoughts: they a... » | JUNE 24I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men... » | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... » | JUNE 22I must declare what I find in the Book. Jou... » | JUNE 21I have sometimes thought you are a little l... » | JUNE 20It is a stated rule in interpreting Scriptu... » | JUNE 19This is my answer to them that trouble me, ... » | JUNE 18I advise you: (1) be electrified (if need b... » | JUNE 17I am glad you come a little nearer the good... » | JUNE 16I impose my opinions on none. … I make no o... »


JUNE 26

You are encompassed with ten thousand mercies; let these sink you into humble thankfulness.
Letter, 26th April, 1777


How impossible it is for a man to see things right when he is angry? Does not passion blind the eyes of the understanding as smoke does the bodily eyes? And how little of the truth can we learn from those who see nothing but through a cloud?

Correction must not be given in anger; if it be so, it will lose its effect on the child, who will think he is corrected, not because he has done a fault, but because the parent is angry.
The Duties of Husbands and Wives, 1770