« Home | MAY 27The knowledge of the Three-One-God is interw... » | MAY 26Yet the enemy injected a fear: “If thou dost... » | MAY 25The moment I awakened, “Jesus, Master,” was ... » | MAY 24In the evening I went very unwillingly to a ... » | MAY 23In this refined way of trusting to my own wo... » | MAY 22Look up, and wait for happy days!Letter, 26t... » | MAY 21Whenever the Holy Ghost teaches, there is no... » | MAY 20I received the surprising news that my broth... » | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... »


MAY 28

Still I insist, the fact (of the Trinity) you believe, you cannot deny; but the manner you cannot comprehend.
Sermon, LV, 7


In the year 1729 four young students in Oxford agreed to spend their evenings together. They were all zealous members of the Church of England, and had no peculiar opinions, but were distinguished only by their constant attendance on the Church and Sacrament. In 1735 they were increased to fifteen, when the chief of them embarked for America, intending to preach to the heathen Indians. Methodism then seemed to die away; but it revived again in the year 1738, especially after Mr. Wesley (not being allowed to preach in the Churches) began to preach in the fields.
Thoughts Upon Methodism