« Home | JULY 1On the notice of my death, let all the preac... » | JUNE 30How soon may you hear “the voice that speak... » | JUNE 29Keep at the utmost distance from foolish de... » | JUNE 28I entered into my eightieth year; but, bles... » | JUNE 27Nothing but the mighty power of God can ena... » | JUNE 26You are encompassed with ten thousand merci... » | JUNE 25Beware of indulging gloomy thoughts: they a... » | JUNE 24I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men... » | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... » | JUNE 22I must declare what I find in the Book. Jou... »


JULY 2

What cause have we to bleed before the Lord this day, that have so long neglected this great and good work! That have been preachers so many years, and have done so little by personal instruction for the saving of men’s souls! If we had but set on this work sooner, how many more might have been brought to Christ! And how much holier and happier might we have made our Societies before now! And why might we have not done it sooner? There were many hindrances in the way; and so there are still, and always will be; but the greatest hindrance was in ourselves, in our dulness [sic] and littleness of faith and love.
Minutes of Conversations, 1744


You like to be honored, but had you not rather be beloved?
Works, vii. 146