« Home | JULY 2What cause have we to bleed before the Lord ... » | JULY 1On the notice of my death, let all the preac... » | JUNE 30How soon may you hear “the voice that speak... » | JUNE 29Keep at the utmost distance from foolish de... » | JUNE 28I entered into my eightieth year; but, bles... » | JUNE 27Nothing but the mighty power of God can ena... » | JUNE 26You are encompassed with ten thousand merci... » | JUNE 25Beware of indulging gloomy thoughts: they a... » | JUNE 24I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men... » | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... »


JULY 3

After all our preaching, many of our people are almost as ignorant as if they had never heard the Gospel. I study to speak as plainly as I can; yet I frequently meet with those who have been my hearers for many years, who know not whether Christ be God or man; or that infant shave any original sin. And how few are there that know the nature of repentance, faith and holiness! Most of them have a sort of confidence that Christ will justify and save them, while the world has their hearts, and they live to themselves. And I have found, by experience, that one of these has learned more from an hour’s close discourse than from ten years’ public preaching.
Minutes of Conversations, 1744


You may line in and to Jesus; yea, and that continually, by simple faith, and holy, humble love.
Letter, 12th August, 1769