« Home | JULY 2What cause have we to bleed before the Lord ... » | JULY 1On the notice of my death, let all the preac... » | JUNE 30How soon may you hear “the voice that speak... » | JUNE 29Keep at the utmost distance from foolish de... » | JUNE 28I entered into my eightieth year; but, bles... » | JUNE 27Nothing but the mighty power of God can ena... » | JUNE 26You are encompassed with ten thousand merci... » | JUNE 25Beware of indulging gloomy thoughts: they a... » | JUNE 24I abhor the thought of giving to twenty men... » | JUNE 23As long as I live the people shall have no ... »


JULY 4

For what avails public preaching alone, though we could preach like angels?

I heard Dr. Lupton say, my father, visiting one of his parishioners, who had never missed going to Church for forty years, then lying on his death-bed, asked him: “Thomas, where do you think your soul will go?” “Soul! Soul!” said Thomas. “Yes, do you not know what your soul is?” “Aye, surely,” said he, “Why, it is a little bone in the back, that lives longer than the rest of the body.” So much Thomas had learned by constantly hearing good sermons, for forty years!
Minutes of Conversations, 1744


It is a rule with me to take nothing ill that is well meant.
Letter, 25th September, 1757