« Home | AUGUST 15When I can learn nothing else, I like to ... » | AUGUST 14Surely the people of this place* were hig... » | AUGUST 13At all times it is of use to have a Frien... » | AUGUST 12This doctrine* is the grand depositum whi... » | AUGUST 11Why are we more nervous than our forefath... » | AUGUST 101. Our design is, with God’s assistance,... » | AUGUST 9Here was my first irregularity, and it was... » | AUGUST 8From a child I was taught to love and reve... » | AUGUST 7When I have an opportunity of doing good, ... » | AUGUST 6As to my own judgment, I still believe the... »


AUGUST 16

I cannot easily part with those I love.
Letter, 22nd October, 1777


They (the Methodists) have many schools for teaching, reading, writing and arithmetic, but only one for teaching the higher parts of learning. This is kept in Kingswood, near Bristol, and contains about forty scholars.
. . . . . . . . . .

Each preacher has his food wherever he labours and twelve pounds a year for clothes and other expenses. If he is married, he has ten pounds a year for his wife. This money is raised by the voluntary contributions of the Societies. It is by these likewise that the poor are assisted where the allowance fixed by the laws of the land does not suffice. Accordingly the stewards of the Societies in London distribute seven or eight pounds weekly among the poor.
. . . . . . . . . .

There are only three Methodist societies in America. … There are five preachers there.
to Professor John Liden of Lund, 1769